The WAY Inheritor Plans
The Plans come in several different forms which may be used individually or in combination to achieve more than one goal.
All of these Plans have common aims: to help clients reduce potential inheritance tax liabilities by using current reliefs and exemptions.
Client circumstances can and do change, therefore individual planning should be done by an experienced professional adviser, and recommendations will differ from one client to another. The Inheritor Plans will often be part of a wider strategy to cover different aspects of the inheritance tax planning spectrum.
Below is a description of each plan and who it may be suitable for:
The Multi Award-Winning WAY Flexible Inheritor Plan
This Plan may be suitable for investors who wish to make a significant gift to reduce their inheritance tax liability. They also want some access to the capital at a later date if their circumstances subsequently change, and want the ability to help their beneficiaries financially should the need arise. The investment is gifted into a flexible reversionary interest in possession trust for the benefit of the chosen beneficiaries.
- The original gift falls outside the estate if the investor survives 7 years.
- Any future growth is immediately outside the estate.
- The investor retains potential access to a proportion of the trust fund each year (via flexible reversions).
- The trustees can defer a reversion in whole/part to a future date if the payment is not required.
- The trustees can also distribute capital or make loans to the beneficiaries at any time.
WAY Gifts from Income Inheritor Plan
This Plan may be appropriate for investors who wish to make gifts out of surplus income each year and take advantage of the ‘normal expenditure out of income’ inheritance tax exemption but also want a solution that can adjust to changing personal/family circumstances. The investments bought by the gifts are placed in a flexible reversionary interest in possession trust for the benefit of the chosen beneficiaries.
- The gifts will result in an immediate reduction in the investor’s estate for inheritance tax.
- There is no monetary limit to the gifts made provided they meet all criteria for the exemption to apply.
- Any investment growth is also outside the estate.
- The investor has potential access to 50% of the trust fund on both the 5th and 10th anniversaries.
- The trustees can postpone these reversions in part/full to a future date if not needed at the time.
- The trustees can appoint or lend capital to beneficiaries whenever they wish.
WAY Inheritor Loan Plan
This Plan may be suitable for Investors who wish to carry out inheritance tax planning but cannot afford, or are unwilling, to give up all access to the capital. However, they are prepared for future investment growth to be given away. The investor makes an interest-free, repayable on demand, loan to the trustees of a flexible interest in possession trust, who will then invest the monies.
- Whilst all investment growth is held for the beneficiaries, any outstanding loan will remain part of the investor’s estate for inheritance tax.
- The investor has full control over and access to the original capital.
- Regular loan repayments can be used to provide an ‘income’ to the investor for a limited period.
- Since no gift has been made, inheritance tax benefits can only be achieved on a gradual basis because these will rely on loan repayments being taken and spent and the investment growth obtained.
- The trustees can make capital payments to the beneficiaries, subject always to their ability to repay the loan on demand.
WAY Pro Sports Trust
A unique trust which can be used by sportspeople to help support them financially for when they retire from professional sport. Surplus net income rather than capital is placed into the trust. This investment adheres to all current HM Revenue & Customs legislation regarding surplus net income.
- It is a flexible plan that adapts to the changing needs of the sportsperson and their family.
- In the event of a career-changing injury or upon retirement from their chosen professional sport, the sportsperson can request access to the trust money.
- Money can be distributed, at the trustee’s discretion, to the family should they require financial assistance.
- Money is invested into UK-authorised and regulated investment funds.
- Managed by a Professional Trustee alongside the Financial Adviser.
If you wish to talk to someone about the WAY Inheritor Plans please complete your details on our Contact Page or telephone 01202 890895.